Pages

Monday 24 September 2012

My take on Almaty Puppet Festival 2012 opening parade



This Sunday in order to find and excuse for not cleaning the house, I escaped the place and headed towards Arbat, a pedestrian street in Almaty, where I encountered a parade of participants of Almaty Puppet Carnival 2012. This is a second international festival, which invites participants from all over the world.

By and large I am not a fan of puppets and circus, because I find them a little bit creepy. However, the parade on Arbat made me change my opinion about puppets and turned out to be a pleasant event. In addition, it instigated my interest towards this type of art. Due to the fact that not all participant of the Carnival took part in the parade, it made me wonder what else is there to see. The program of the festival looks quite full and diverse.

Parade on Arbat attracted quite a number of people. Most of them were families with young children, whose parents looked equally excited about seeing the puppets. In fact, this was not surprising, because diversity and unusualness of those puppets does impress. I found the fact that puppeteers seem to form an organic whole with their puppets. They move in synchronicity and look very much alike even if at first one cannot find any similarities.



While watching the puppeteers I remembered the movie called “Plus one” directed by Oksana Bychkova. The movie features a British puppeteer Tom Greenwood. Tom comes to Moscow to teach seminars in puppet theater. He has this puppet called Diggie, which he calls a friend and hardly ever leaves it alone. I shall not describe and discuss the plot in details, but I have to say that watching the movie makes you feel young, excited and warm.  

The puppet parade gave me the same feelings. At first one might think that the puppets are not very pretty and some of them are rather ugly, but the puppeteers have this gift of transferring a part of their souls into their puppets and making them alive. At that very moment you begin to look at those puppets with new eyes.


This dog was particularly popular among children

This guy looked quite fierce at first but the impression changed  once he began to smile






No comments:

Post a Comment